Repel insects naturally
No matter the time of year, insects have a way of making themselves at home in your garden and your home too. During the warmer months, insects seem to be out in full force and there are few things worse than waking up in the morning with dozens of bites. There are a number of pest sprays on the market but there aren’t always suitable for everyone. Many people also prefer not to use certain substances because they prefer a more natural approach. Well, if this is you or if you are looking for an alternative to all the chemical repellents on the market, here are sme recipes!
You will need:
10 – 25 drops of essential oil (refer to the suggestions mentioned below)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp aloe vera gel (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients in a jar.
- Seal the jar with a lid and shake well to blend.
- Use the mixture on your skin and clothing. You need only dab small amounts and, remember, the recipe includes oil which means that it can stain your clothes. If you are wearing old clothes, you might not worry about this. If you are wearing a particularly lovely dress, avoid contact with the fabric.
Oils that repel ticks:
- Rose Geranium is the best choice
- European Pennyroyal Lavender or Tickweed
Oils that repel mosquitoes:
Oils that repel blackflies :
Oils that repel fleas:
- Orange oil
Remember to avoid wearing any particularly fragrant perfumes and lotions if you want to avoid attracting bugs. Bees, for example, are easily attracted to sweet perfume and the same can be said for many other bugs. You will also need to reapply your oils if you go for a swim or after a few hours. This will ensure long-lasting protection.