Paper flowers just for mum
While many people like to present mum with a fresh bouquet on Mother’s Day, this does not need to be the case for everyone. While dad could buy a pretty arrangement just for her, young children may not have access to funds or able to shop for mum on their own. What they can do, however, is make some pretty paper flowers in just a few simple steps!
You will need:
- Tissue paper or crepe paper in various colours
- Green pipe cleaners (for the flower stems)
- A pair of scissors
- When selecting the colours for your paper flowers, you should make sure that you use at least two different colours for each bloom. You can make all of your flowers using these two shades or you can make various combinations to create a mixed bouquet.
- You should have green pipe cleaners to make the stem but if you don’t have green, you could use another colour that will at least look good with the paper colours you have chosen.
- Start by cutting the pipe cleaners to the size needed (the length of the stem) You will need a little extra in order to wrap them around the paper securing the paper petals in place.
- You will need to cut five pieces of tissue paper into rectangular shapes. The larger the rectangles, the larger the blooms will be. You need five pieces for each bloom.
- Place one piece of paper on top of the other – alternating colours.
- Fold the papers lengthwise into the shape of an accordion or paper fan.
- Now fold them in half to determine the midpoint.
- Wrap one end of the pipe cleaner around the mid point of the folded paper and twist it around the longer end to secure in place.
- Use a sharp pair of scissors to cut the two ends of the folded paper and ensure that they are rounded.
- Gently separate each layer of tissue paper and fluffy the paper petals in all directions to create a rounded shape.
- The paper closest to the centre should be fluffed upwards and to the sides while the rest can be gradually tapered along each side.
- Repeat these steps to make the numer of flowers you need before either wrapping the stems together with a ribbon or placing them in a suitable vase.
As you can see, it is so easy to make paper flowers following this method. So, while you might like to buy blooms for her, you can always let the kids make their very own special bouquet. While you’re at it, you should also help them make a card to go with this paper bouquet.