Cooking with flowers: Nasturtium Risotto
Years ago it was common practice to include various leaves and flowers in our diets. Cooking with flowers has almost become a thing of the past which is a real shame considering all the flavours and nutrients these plants provide. Some might think that cooking with plants and blooms is difficult but this Nasturtium risotto recipe will come as a pleasant surprise!
Nasturtium risotto ingredients:
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1.2 leak (halved lengthwise and sliced thinly. Use the light-green and white parts only)
- 1 tsp garlic (finely chopped)
- Course salt
- 3 cups nasturtium bouillon (heated)
- ¾ cups grated parmesan cheese
- nasturtium pesto (garnish)
- Fresh sprigs of chervil (garnish)
- Nasturtium flower, petals or flower buds (garnish)
- Begin making your nasturtium risotto in a large saucepan. Heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the leaks and cook until soft and translucent (about 2 minutes)
- Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add rice and cook (stirring occasionally) until the grains are opaque and they start to sizzle. You will notice that they will start to stick together.
- Add wine and cook. Stir while cooking until the liquid is absorbed (about 30 seconds)
- Season with salt.
- Reduce the heat to low and add bouillon. You need to make sure that the rice is covered with bouillon.
- Cook and stir constantly until almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add ½ cup of bouillon and continue cooking while stirring.
- Once the liquid is absorbed, continue cooking and adding ½ a cup of bouillon at a time until the rice is al dente (about 20 minutes).
- Stir in the butter and remove from heat.
- Add the parmesan and fold it in.
- Season with salt.
- Garnish as desired.
There you have it! A simple nasturtium risotto recipe that you can make in just a few minutes. Enjoy it all on its own or as a side dish. There are so many great ways of cooking with flowers. All it takes is a little bit of creativity and imagination.