Fun colander flower arrangement
Flowers do not always need to be displayed in a conventional vase. There are plenty of other items that can be used to hold flowers and make them suit a particular style or theme. Here’s how to make your own fun flower arrangement in a colander.
You will need:
- A selection of fresh flowers
- Flower foam
- Colander and small tray (for catchng any dripping water)
- Start by cutting your floral foam to size and soak in water.
- Place your colander on a tray to catch any dripping water. Place your floral foam in the colander.
- Choose your flowers based on your décor as well as the season and seasonal flowers available at your local florist. For an autumn arrangement, you might like flowers such as sunflowers, chrysanthemums, asters, and even dahlias. Make sure that you choose the right colours too. Some of the best colours include red, orange, yellow, and off white.
- Make sure that you select your focal flowers as well as mass and filler flowers. The focal flowers should be placed in the middle with mass and fillers around them. Add foliage in between for a lush final result.
- Remember to trim each stem as you go and do so at an angle. Even though you are inserting them into floral foam, the pointed end will make them easier to insert and, by cutting at a slant, it will also increase the area of absorption.
- Enjoy your bouquet and don’t forget to check the floral foam daily. Pour more water over the foam as needed and remove dead or dying flowers and plant material as soon as you spot them.