How to transfer flower photos onto wood
Photographs have a way of capturing a moment, a feeling, and some of our most precious memories. So many of us keep our photos stored in an album, box, or even on our computers or other devices. What better way to enjoy them than by creating a unique wood photo transfers?
You will need:
- A photograph printed on regular paper (highest quality possible)
- A piece of wood suitable for the size of the photo
- Mod podge (you can make your own using white glue and water)
- A paintbrush
- Card (like a credit card)
- Soft sponge or cloth
- Bowl of water
- Print your photo or have it printed according to the size of the piece of wood you plan on using.
- Make sure that your wood is perfectly sanded down and does not have any kind of treatment like varnish applied.
- Cut your photograph out if necessary.
- Use your paintbrush to apply mod podge to the wood. Make sure that you cover the entire surface where the photo will be placed. If you apply a bit extra, don’t worry. It’s better to exceed the size of the photo than miss any spots.
- Place the photo face down on the wet mod podge and be careful NOT to move it around. If you do, your image will come out smudged.
- Start from the centre, gently press down the image and use an object like a credit card to make sure that your image is completely flat and there are no wrinkles or air bubbles. Do not rub too hard or this will cause smudging.
- Let your wood rest on a flat surface for 24 hours.
- Using a soft cloth or sponge and water, wet the photograph and gently start rubbing the top layer of the paper off. Do not rub too hard or you will damage the image. This process might seem like it will take a fair amount of time but it actually moves along faster than you think!
- Once all of the paper has been removed,let your photo and wood dry completely.
- You can apply a thin coat of mod podge or a transparent sealant on top if you like.
- Add a hook or stand to your photo for display purposes.
- Remember, if you are planning on writing a special message on the image or if you want to make sure that the image is NOT flipped during the transfer process, you will need to rotate the image before you print it. This will ensure that the end result is an exact copy of the original.
- If you like, you can apply one photo to one side of the wood and a different photo to the other side. Add a string for hanging to the top of the wood and, when you feel like a channge, you can simply flip the piece of wood around.