Rose facts you may not know
The rose is one of the most well-known flowers in the world. It’s not only about the appearance, but also the scent. A scent that has proven so popular over the years that it is also used in a variety of bath, body, and beauty products. Here are some interesting facts about this popular flower.
- Roses can grow quite tall, depending on the variety, and the tallest bush ever measured was an impressive 23 feet in height.
- A rose fossil was discovered in Coloroda and, as a result, archaeologists believe roses to be one of the oldest flowers. They are said to have existed more than 35 million years ago.
- Roses are not nearly as delicate as they appear. In Hildesheim, Germany, there is a rose bush that has been growing on the Hildesheim Cathedral wall for more than 1,000 years.
- The ‘War of the Roses’ took place in England during the 15th century and supporters on each side wore different coloured roses to show their support. Red roses were worn by those fighting for Lancaster and white roses by those who supported Yorkshire.
- Roses have also made their way into music. Apart from the famous band, Guns & Roses, there are also more than 4,000 songs that include rose related lyrics.
- Along with lilies and camphire, roses are even mentioned in the Bible.
- Over the years, many different genetically manipulated roses have been cultivated. It was not until 2004, however, that the first blue rose was grown.
- The Juliet Rose was grown by David Austin and it took 15 years to achieve such perfection. It ws sold in 2006 at the Chelsea Show for almost $15.8 million.
- Roses have even been sent to space in order to determine the effect of low gravity on the scent of this flower.
- Rose hips grow on certain rose plants and they can be used in various herbal remedies.
- Each colour rose has a different meaning. Red is the symbol of love, pink is for admiration, yellow for friendship or joy, and white represents purity.