Pumpkin planter DIY for your succulents
If you plan on displaying succulents or cacti this autumn season and throughout the year, you can make it extra special with a pumpkin planter. You will need a few specific supplies in order to create the perfect planter but the results are more than worth it in the end!
What you need:
- A foam pumpkin
- Stencils of autumn leaves
- Glitter setting spray
- Succulent potting mix
- Succulents of your choice
- Graphite paper
- Permanent marker
- Paint brush
- Start by cutting a hole in the top of your foam pumpkin planter. You can use a heated craft knife or regular knife to do so. Cut the appropriate size hole to fit your plants.
- Trim your stencils and graphite paper to size. They should be the same size.
- Tape the stencil and graphite paper to your pumpkin with the stencil on top.
- Trance the outline of the stencil using a pencil. Don’t be afraid to apply pressure. You need to make sure that the graphite paper leaves behind a print of whatever design you trace.
- Remove the stencils and graphite paper. Touch up if necessary. If you aren’t happy with the results, you can wipe them away and try again.
- If you are happy with the results, trace them again using your permanent marker.
- Use a paint brush to apply glue to the areas you wish to cover or fill with glitter. Usually this will be the interior of your stencils.
- Add glitter generously.
- Gently tap the pumpkin to remove any excess glitter.
- Spray the glitter with glitter setting spray to keep it in place. Allow to stand for half an hour before you proceed.
- Add potting soil to your pumpkin planter. It should be ¾ full.
- Arrange your succulents and add more soil to hold them in place,
- Now add moss to cover areas between your plants.
- Display your new planter and enjoy!
Not only is this pumpkin planter easy to make, but it also makes an excellent gift. Once you give it a try for your own home, you will surely be inspired to create even more to give away to friends and family.