Fun flower craft for children
Keeping children entertained while teaching them some valuable life lessons can be trickier than most people realise. Many children find hands on activities more interesting and they learn so much more in the process. With this fun flower craft, your children will get to take part and your home will be that much more colourful too!
What you need:
- White flowers (preferably in partial bud form)
- Food colouring in various colours
- Glasses or cups
- Sharp pair of scissors
- Begin by preparing your glasses. You want to make sure that you have one glass for each flower. Unless you want to use two or three flowers in each cup.
- Add fresh water to each glass or cup.
- Now add a different food colouring to each glass. You might not have all the colours you want but you can mix several colours if you have basic colours. This flower craft will also help teach your children about mixing colours which is an added bonus! For instance, mix red and yellow to make orange, red and blue to create purple or yellow and blue to make green.
- When you coloured water is ready, it’s time to trim the stems of your flowers. Make sure that you trim them using a sharp pair of scissors so that you do not crush the stems. White flowers are really the only option since they will show up their new colour that much better.
- Trim the stems according to the height of the glass and remember to trim at an angle.
- Set your flowers in a safe spot and allow them to absorb the coloured water. You and your children can observe them over the next few days. You can even take photos of their daily progress and later refer back to these pictures when revisiting the craft.
- Once all of your flowers are beautifully coloured, you can leave them as they are and simply top up or change the water as needed. Alternatively, you can place them all together in a single glass or small vase to create a bright and beautiful display.
Not only is this flower craft extremely easy, but it is also interactive and it will give your children something to look forward to each day for several days! When choosing flowers, you can use just about any white blooms. Just make sure that they are in partial bud form since this will ensure that they last that much longer and you can enjoy the full effect of colouring their petals.