Essential do’s and don’ts of silk flowers
When you buy silk flowers, the whole idea is to make sure that they look beautiful for as long as possible. Artificial bouquets are supposed to last exponentially longer than fresh flower arrangements. Of course, just like fresh blooms, your silk arrangements also need some care. Here are few things you should and not do as far as silk bouquets are concerned.
What you should do:
- Always look for quality silk flowers. Yes, they will cost more than the dollar store variety, but they look more realistic and they will last that much longer too.
- Consider creating smaller displays of artificial flowers for various parts of your home. You don’t need a massive display to have a great impact.
- Bright colours like red and pink will make a bold statement. When choosing between different colours, consider the mood that you want to create as well as the season and your colour scheme.
- Always take care when choosing the perfect spot for your flowers. If you have pets, these can easily be seen as toys and they present a risk to your furry friends.
- If you plan on storing your flowers and displaying different silk bouquets during various times of the year, you should always store them in a cool, dry and dark spot.
- Clean your flowers regularly to prevent any dust or dirt from building up. The more build up there is, the more difficult they are to clean.
Things you should not do:
- Never place your silk flowers near any source of heat such as fire places, candles, heaters and so on. They can melt or even start a fire.
- Don’t place them in direct sunlight. While the sun causes fresh flowers to wilt, silk blooms will fade.
- Don’t discount the beauty of white artificial blooms. White is a modern and versatile colour that will give you the option of changing things up. For example, you can display white blooms in a brightly-coloured vase during the summer or a Christmas vase over the festive season. They look lovely throughout the year but you can change the theme just by changing the vase and adding some accessories like artificial mistletoe.
- Don’t underestimate the beauty of artificial potted plants and trees. These have come a long way over the years and they look extremely realistic.
- Don’t give in to the temptation of buying large quantities of silk blooms. There are many ways in which you can mix and match your flowers so you can do a lot with a modest number of stems.
There you have it! A few essential tips to keep in mind when ordering, displaying and caring for your silk flowers. Never forget that there is no substitute for quality when it comes to artificial blooms. If you want to get the most out of them and you don’t want a cheap, plastic-looking bouquet, it’s certainly worth investing in quality rather than the cheapest bouquets available.