Floral art comes in all shapes and sizes. One of the most popular forms comes in the form of the beautiful flower shadow box. Box frames allow you to create a gorgeous 3D design that offers amazing depth. The best part of all is that it is so easy to do yourself with just a few basic supplies.
You will need:
- Shadow box (also referred to as a box frame)
- Cardboard in a colour that will compliment the colour of your flower
- Artificial flower or flowers
- Spray adhesive
- Hot glue and glue gun
- Wire cutters and cutting materials including a ruler
- Start by taking your shadow box apart. You need to open it up in order to arrange the bloom inside.
- Use the spray adhesive to stick the coloured cardboard onto the backing of the frame. You want to use a light colour so that your flower will stand out. So, think of something like a pale green, light pink or pastel purple.
- You might need to trim the cardboard to fit the size of the frame perfectly. If this is the case, it’s best to stick the colourful cardboard in place before trimming off the excess.
- Now you need to plan your flower shadow box design and layout. Place your flower on the cardboard and see where it will fall as well as where you should trim the stem.
- If you want to use a flower like a sunflower, you should cut one short stem with a small bloom or bud, a stem with a leaf and the longest stem with your main flower.
- Use your hot glue gun to glue the bud flower and stem with the leaf in place. They should be side by side but not too close to one another. Also, you want to glue the stems but not the leaves. Your bud leaf should be glued off centre to the one side while the leaf should be off centre to the other side of the frame.
- Next, add your main flower. Apply glue along the stem and the back of the flower. The main flower should be in the middle of the frame.
- Place the frame back in place and allow the leaf to overlap the side of the box frame. This will enhance the 3D look even more.
- If you want to use a frame with glass, you can do so. However, you will need to fit the flower and leaves into the frame without overlapping any of the sizes. It creates a somewhat different appearance but it is still stunning.
As you can see, you don’t need a long list of supplies or too much time in order to create this stunning flower shadow box. Once it is ready, you can display it anywhere it will compliment the décor in that room.