Do you have a friend or loved one who is celebrating their birthday this July? If you are looking for the perfect gift, birthday flowers are the best place to begin. Each month is associated with a particular type of flower. Delphiniums are the flower for the month of July and below, you will find some interesting flower facts.
Colours and meanings
Delphiniums are available in various colours including pink, blue, purple and white. You can choose one or more of these to create the perfect birthday flowers for that special person. You can pair these blooms with other flowers or you can stick to delphiniums alone. The blue flowers were once used to make dye and these blooms are associated with an open heart and affection.
These July birthday flowers got their name from the ancient Greeks who associated its appearance with the nose of a dolphin. These blooms tend to prefer mountainous areas in the African tropics. Of course, due to the great international demand, they are now specially cultivated.
If you want to plant these July birthday flowers in your garden, it’s important to make sure that they receive the right care. Here are some tips:
- You can grow these plants from seeds or cuttings.
- If you are planting seeds, make sure that they are fresh.
- They will do best in fertile soil that is also slightly alkaline.
- Plant them in an area that receives plenty of sun.
- The soil should be kept moist at all times.
- To offer added support, you can insert canes into the soil as they get taller.
- Mulch will help keep these plants nourished.
- You can prune them regularly while they are young to keep them happy and healthy.
Things to avoid
Just as there are points to keep in mind, there are also points that you should avoid. Here are a few common mistakes to be aware of.
- Take care not to under water your plants. This can result in mold and the plant can rot.
- Avoid sowing the seeds too deeply in the soil because they will not grow.
- Do not plant seeds too close together or mildew will likely occur as the plants grow larger.
When sending birthday flowers to your loved one, don’t forget to take a look at optional extras to accompany the flower delivery. Luxury chocolates, balloons and even a birthday cake can be included in your order.