They say that a picture is worth a thousand words and, when it comes to loving family photos, this is certainly the case. Whether you are looking for a fun craft for Mother’s Day or you are in need of a budget gift idea, photo flowers will always make mum smile. Here’s how to make your own.
You will need:
- Colourful paper or cardboard
- Individual photos of family members (one for each of your photo flowers)
- Green floral wire or pipe cleaners
- Wood glue and regular (stick) glue
- A decorative vase and vase filler like gem stones or pebbles
- To make photo flowers, you wil need to choose several colours as well as a photo for each of your blooms. Planning your designs is essential. You also want to make sure that the colour of the flower suits the person in the photo that you will paste in the middle of the bloom.
- You can choose to trace a flower shape on the paper or you can simply draw the shape if you want each flower to be slightly different and less than perfect.
- Once your flowers are cut out, you can cut out the photos to fit in the middle of each flower.
- Use the stick glue to secure the photo to the flower.
- Now secure the wire or pipe cleaner to the back of the flower using wood glue or hot glue. Allow the glue to dry before you arrange your photo flowers.
- While the glue is setting, you can prepare a vase. You will need a vase, jar, tin or another similar holder to begin with. If you like, you can decorate the vase. This is a good idea if you are recycling something like a tin can.
- Next, fill your vase with a filler. Since you will not be placing your flowers in water, you will need something to hold them in place. Something heavy like small stones usually does the trick really well.
- When the glue on the flowers has dried and your vase is ready, it’s time to arrange the flowers. Make sure that each photo is clearly visible and that they don’t overlap one another too much. You can even bend or trim the stems if you need some flowers to be taller than the others.
Now that your bouquet of photo flowers is ready, you can create a special card for mum and present it along with your unique bouquet and perhaps breakfast in bed to start her special day.