Just like seeds, bulbs are like a storage unit that holds all of the genetic material necessary for the plant to grow. If you are planning on growing flower bulbs in your garden, it’s good to do some research and make sure that you learn as much as you can before you begin. Here are some interesting facts.
- Most flower bulbs bloom in spring but they need to be planted in the later part of autumn in order to go through a dormant phase and cold temperatures.
- Spring bloomers need the cold months or they will not bloom.
- One of the most popular bulbs of all is the tulip and they have proven popular for centuries.
- During the 1600s, during Tulip Mania, these flowers were worth more than gold.
- Certain bulbs can be used instead of onions.
- When shopping for bulbs, you should always look for firm ones since they are the healthiest.
- If a bulb has two points or ‘heads’, it may sprout two flowers.
- Many flowers that grow from bulbs are known for their perfectly symmetrical appearance.
Why are they so popular
Flower bulbs are popular for several reasons. If you are thinking of including them in your garden, here are some of the benefits you’ll enjoy:
- Bulbs are easy to care for. All you need to do is plant the bulb at the right time and wait for them to grow. When necessary, you can add fertilizer to encourage faster growth and more impressive flowers.
- They produce impressive blooms. Just think about tulips for example. Consider the beauty of these flowers, their size and the amazing variety of colours from which you can choose.
- There are plenty of varieties including lilies, daffodils and hyacinths. Apart from the types of bulbs, you can also select many different colours to brighten up your garden like the fields in Holland.
- They bloom year after year without much effort. All you need to do is allow the foliage to turn yellow after the flower has faded and this will encourage blooms again the following year.
If you choose to grow flower bulbs in your garden, you will never be sorry. They will brighten up your garden and you can pick some of them to warm your home too. When picking these flowers, you should always do so in the morning and choose blooms that have just started to open because these will last the longest.