Whether you want to spruce up your home for the autumn season or you are planning on hosting an autumn or Halloween party, you will love this guide to make your own mini autumn wreaths. They can be used in so many different ways but, in this instance, we will focus on using them to decorate your chairs. You will only need enough supplies for the number of seats you have and you can really get creative with this design.
What you need for your mini autumn wreaths:
- A mini grapevine wreath about 5 inches in diameter (buy ready-made or make your own)
- Autumn leaves and berries (eucalyptus and magnolia leaves are great)
- Cymbidium orchids (one per wreath)
- Floral wire and tape
- Decorative ribbon
Steps to making mini autumn wreaths:
- If you have loose dried grapevines, you will need to begin by creating your base. It’s really easy to do provided the vines are still ‘green’ on the inside. In other words, they should still have a fair amount of flexibility. Use floral wire to secure the ends to one another. Don’t worry if a bit of wire is showing for now, you will cover it with foliage and flowers.
- You do not need to cover the entire wreath with foliage. Your flower will occupy about one quarter of the space and your foliage should extend along the wreath on either end but the two ends should not meet.
- Take care and make sure that your leaves are facing in opposite directions. The midpoint, where they meet, is where the flower will be placed. This will make it look like the leaves are trailing out from the flower.
- Once your foliage is secured, it’s time to add the flower. A cymbidium orchid will look absolutely amazing but, if you do not have the budget or if they are not available, there are alternatives. You can use flowers like germinis or even certain smaller lilies. Unlike orchids, these flowers could use something extra such as baby’s breath or similar filler flowers. You can place these on either end of the focal flower.
- In order to safely secure the flower without causing any damage, you need to trim the stems, attach floral wire and then secure the wire to the wreath.
- Add a ribbon to the top of your wreath and make sure that it is long enough to attach to the back of the chair. Remember to choose a ribbon that will suit the colours in your mini autumn wreaths as well as the rest of your décor.
Once you have made all of your wreaths, you can make a larger version and use it as a centrepiece. Add a votive candle in the middle of the table wreath and feel free to add some more autumn leaves and accessories along the length of the table.