If you have ever received a bouquet of fresh roses or grown them in your garden, you will know just how delightful they smell. While some might know that you can make jam from rose petals, many people are not aware of the fact that you can make wine too! Here’s how to make wine with rose petals in just a few easy steps.
- 8 quarts of red rose petals
- 5 – 8 lbs of sugar
- 2 fresh lemons (washed and dried)
- ½ ounce of powdered yeast
- 4 clean eggshells
- To make wine with rose petals, you need to start by preparing the petals. Cut off the white portions on the bottom.
- Place the petals in a bowl in your sink and allow the tap to run cold water over them for about 10 minutes.
- Drain away the water and place the rose petals in a 3 gallon enamel pot.
- In another pot, add 2 gallons of water.
- Heat the pot of water on the stove.
- Add sugar tot he water and make sure that you stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Once the water starts to boil, pour it very carefully over the rose petals.
- Peel the lemons and set aside the rind.
- Add the lemon rinds to the rose petals and hot water.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the petals.
- Discard what remains of the lemons.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Dissolve the dry yeast in half a cup of warm water.
- Add this yeast mixture to the rose petal and water mixture and stir.
- When making wine with rose petals, you should start by stirring once a day when fermentation begins after 2 days.
- Once the fermentation process is complete, you can strain the wine into bottles.
- Squeeze the rose petals to get all of that wine out.
- You will need to add eggshells to each bottle in order to help clear the wine. A 1 gallon jar needs approximately 2 eggshells. Divide your eggshells accordingly.
- Seal the bottles very well and allow to stand undisturbed for 2 – 3 weeks.
- Now you can transfer the wine into clean bottles. Remember, to prevent eggshells and any sediment from transferring into the new bottles, you should siphon the wine instead of pouring it out.
Everyone has their own personal preferences. So, when it comes to making your own wine with rose petals, you can add more or less sugar based on your personal tastes. That said, you need to add at least 4 pounds of sugar in order to facilitate proper fermentation.