Roses are one of the most popular of all cut flowers and they are quite readily available too. When you order a fresh bouquet of mixed roses, you want to make sure that they look their best once placed in a vase. Here’s how you can achieve design perfection in just a few simple steps.
You will need:
- Mixed roses
- Clear glass vase
- Clear tape
- Sharp cutting instrument for trimming the stems
- Floral food
- When your flower delivery arrives, you should place the flowers in some fresh water right away.
- Now prepare your vase by cleaning it and add some clean water.
- Add the flower preservative and follow the instructions on the package.
- Now make sure that the rim of the vase is dry.
- Start adding tape from one side of the vase to the other and leave gaps in between.
- Turn the vase 90 degrees and add perpendicular strips of tape so that you create a kind of grid out of tape with square gaps in between.
- Take one flower at a time and trim the stem according to the height of the vase. Trim the stem at an angle to allow for better water absorption.
- Place the stem in one of the squares around the edge before taking another one.
- Make sure that you alternate between the colours of the roses and avoid creating clusters of colours.
- The roses in the middle of the arrangement will need to be slightly taller than the rest so that the bouquet has some height and does not appear flat.
- Once you are done, you can display the bouquet in a safe spot away from any heat, air conditioners, fans, windy areas, or direct sunlight.
- Change the water every couple of days and add more flower food when you do. Dissolve the flower food in some water before adding it to the vase. This will help speed the process up.
- Trim the rose stems every few days to impede the growth of bacteria around the stem base.
- Remove any dead or dying flowers from the bouquet as soon as you notice them. You might need to rotate your bouquet so that the missing flowers are not noticeable.