Flowers can be used in a number of arts and crafts. There are also many ways of preserving their beauty. One of which being by making your own wax flowers. This is a fun and easy flower craft that offers a number of benefits. Not only are you making your own decorations but you can also send these flowers as gifts to your loved ones.
You will need:
- Dried flowers of your choice
- Paraffin wax
- A bowl to hold the hot, melted wax
- Parchment paper on a tray
- Start by making sure that all of your flowers are completely dried out.
- Place your paraffin wax in a suitable bowl (or pot) and melt the wax using a double boiler method. This means that you should place water in a pot and place the wax in a slightly smaller pot or bowl and place it on top of the water pot. This will heat the wax without exposing it directly to the heat source.
- Once the wax is completely melted, you can dip each flower one by one in the warm solution, Make sure that the flowers are completely coated and handle each flower with care. Both fresh flowers and dried flowers are fragile. Dried flowers can be even more fragile at times.
- Place the wax-covered flowers on a tray (covered with parchment paper to prevent the flowers from sticking to the tray).
- Once you are done with all the flowers, you can place the tray in a cool, dry place.
- Any unused wax can be placed in another container and stored for future use.
- If you want to turn your wax flowers into candles, you need only add a wick just before the wax cools and solidifies. That said, it’s important to remember that the flame could reach the dried flower petals and they could also ignite. These candles can be used as floating candles or table candles if you like.
- These wax flowers or wax flower candles can also be sent as gifts.
- If you want to add a scent to your candles, you will need to add the scent to the wax during the melting process and make sure that you always add the correct ratio.