When it comes to sending flowers for Christmas, poinsettias are one of the most popular choices. If you are the kind of person who enjoys arts and crafts and you are up for getting creative over the holidays, then this making paper poinsettias are perfect for you! Since they are made from paper, they will obviously last longer than fresh ones and you can use them in many ways to brighten up your home over the festive season. Paper poinsettias can be added to your Christmas wreath, your Christmas tree and in other places around your home. You can also make them in various sizes depending on where you plan on using them.
What you need:
- Red paper
- Yellow paper
- Green paper (optional)
- Paper glue
- The first thing you will need to do is print out a pattern of a poinsettia or at least one petal to use as a template. Take a look around for these flowers online and you will find the perfect picture in no time!
- Trace the outline of the petal (five times) on the red pieces of paper. Cut them out and make sure that they are all roughly the same size.
- If you like, you can fold the petals along the middle to add some height and volume. If you prefer, however, you can leave them flat.
- Glue the flower petals together with one petal slightly overlapping the other one. Take care not to leave any kind of gap in the centre.
- Cut a small circle from the yellow paper and use the glue to stick it to the centre of the flower.
- Once you have everything in place, you can add some green if you like. Poinsettias have green leaves so cut some out and stick them to the back of the flower. Make sure that they are slightly larger than the flower petals.
Once your poinsettias are ready, you can attach stems and place them in a vase or pot (like a fresh potted poinsettia plant). If you choose to place them in a clear vase, you can use vase fillers like colourful stones to secure the stems in place and give your arrangement that special, final touch.
Alternatively, you can attach some kind of transparent thread or use wire stems to secure your poinsettias to your Christmas tree or use them to add some more colour to a swag, wreath or garland.
What you might not know is that poinsettias are available in various colours so you can make them in different colours as well! You might not like the idea of using yellow paper for the petals because it doesn’t seem all that festive. However, what about gold instead? You can also add little accents like glitter or tiny gems.
If you like, you can substitute paper altogether with your favourite fabric. Velvet style fabrics look luxurious and they have some of the most striking colours as well. The key when it comes to using fabric is to make your petals double-sided (both sides covered with fabric) and insert a strong, stiff piece of cardboard in the middle. The cardboard needs to be cut to the same shape as the petals of each and every petal to make sure that it holds its shape. You can also use something a bit more exciting as a centre for these flowers and, instead of yellow paper, you can add a shiny gem or elegant looking button.