Sugared flowers recipe to decorate your baked goods
If you enjoy baking but you want your cupcakes, cakes and other baked goods to look even better, you need sugared flowers. Not only will they add colour to the dish, but they also taste delicious and they will help you bake according to specific occasions and themes.
What you need:
- Edible and organic fresh flowers (pansies and violas are ideal)
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp water
- Superfine sugar to sprinkle over the top
- Make sure that your flowers are indeed edible and organic. Inspect each bloom to ensure that there is no dirt or little bugs hiding somewhere.
- Remove the stems from the flowers very carefully.
- While sugared flowers are easy to make, it is a delicate process, so make sure that you have the time and patience needed.
- Whisk the egg white and water together in a small bowl.
- Hold your first flower with clean tweezers and gently brush the egg was over the entire surface of the flower. Use a small paintbrush for this.
- Now sprinkle the superfine sugar over the top.
- Transfer the sugared flower to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat this process with all of your flowers.
- Allow to stand at room temperature overnight.
- You can use right away or you can store them for up to 3 months at room temperature. Make sure that you only store them in single layers.
When selecting blooms with which you wish to make your own sugared flowers, it is always important to ensure that your source is reliable. Take some time to research the florist and how they source their blooms before you place your flower order. If you are unsure, you can always place a small order first and place a larger flower order once you are satisfied with the quality of their blooms.