Essential oils have a wonderful effect on the body and mind. They can be used in various forms of therapy and they smell great too. Many of these oils are made from fresh flowers as well as other aromatic plants. Here’s what you need to know about these oils and their benefits.
Uses for essential oils
Essential oils can be applied topically, inhaled, mixed with personal care products and even ingested. That said, it is important to note that not all oils can be used in every way. Some are perfectly safe for ingestion while others should only be used externally. Since they are concentrated, it is important to mix them with carrier oils to ensure proper dilution. Each drop of oil requires a large number of fresh flowers or plant material which is the reason why they are so powerful.
Popular essential oils and their benefits
- Tea tree oil: great for antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties, to name a few, this oil is excellent for skin conditions like acne, dandruff and bug bites. You can also pair this oil with chamomile oil for an even greater soothing effect.
- Peppermint oil: This oil is made from the leaves rather than fresh flowers and it has an amazing scent. It also has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. It is often used to ease respiratory and digestive problems.
- Lavender oil: Soothing and relaxing, this oil is perfect for relaxation and peaceful sleep. Pair with peppermint oil to ease that feeling of stress.
- Jasmine oil: This is the perfect oil for enhancing your mood and make you feel more alert. It also pairs very well with lavender oil.
- Chamomile oil: These small fresh flowers are so delicate to behold yet they pack a punch! They can be used as a tea or the essential oil can be used to sooth sore muscles and help you relax. Pair with lemongrass oil for a truly refreshing effect.
- Rose oil: Roses are one of the most popular of all cut flowers. This essential oil is known to aid in relaxation and it can be paired with sandalwood oil too.
These are some of the most popular essential oils. As you can see, like a bouquet of fresh flowers, they can be used on their own or you can pair the with another oil to enhance the effect. Some other incredible oils include rosemary, basil, eucalyptus and juniper berry oil.